Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 18, 2022

QT 7/18/2022 Ps 18:33-35, Stoop to conquer

Psalm 18:33–35 (ESV) —

33 He made my feet like the feet of a deer

and set me secure on the heights.

34 He trains my hands for war,

so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

35 You have given me the shield of your salvation,

and your right hand supported me,

and your gentleness made me great.

 

NOTE: The phrase "your gentleness made me great" is a little different in the NIV where it says "you stoop down to make me great." In the movie, She Stoops to Conquer, Kate pretends to be a barmaid instead of a Lady in order to gain Marlow's affection. She lowers herself to win another. In many ways, God does the same to us. Jesus, God himself, emptied himself of his many aspects of the godhead, to be born in a stable to a poor Jewish family. He dies a thief's death on the cross. But what he really did, was conquer sin and death so that we might have eternal life and a relationship with God. Jesus stooped to win us our salvation. God loved mankind so much, that he sent his son to die in our place. He gave and stooped so that we might live. What a wonderful savior we have!

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I understand the true extent of God's love? Probably not because I think that is impossible, but I wonder if we understand even the smallest degree of his great love for us.

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for my salvation. Today, help me to live and work in the knowledge of your love for me. I pray that I would work knowing that I serve you and not the world around me. Work is my worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment