Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

QT 7/12/2022 Ps 18:1-3, Believing he will protect

Psalm 18:1–3 (ESV) —

1 I love you, O Lord, my strength.

2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,

my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,

my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

3 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,

and I am saved from my enemies.

 

NOTE: "My rock … my fortress … my deliverer." I think these first three descriptors are expanded in the lines that follow. The first, "my rock," is further elaborated as God in whom I take refuge. A rock is a solid object that I can rest upon. It is solid. It is firm. It won't change and I don't need to worry about slipping. God holds me firm. The second descriptor, "my fortress," is elaborated as "my shield." God protects me from the attacks of the enemy. Jesus reiterates this protection in his example prayer, "deliver us from evil." The third descriptor, "my deliverer," is amplified by "the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." My salvation is my stronghold. I know my future. I am ultimately perfectly secure because of what Jesus had done for me. For David, he like Abraham, was saved by faith (declared righteous). I am saved by Jesus.

 

I know that when life's tragedies hit, it does not feel as if God is my strength, but David's words are true. The problem is that we measure God's work in our finite mind, and if it does not fit our perception, then we lose faith. Real faith is believing that God's infinite knowledge is a much better standard and requires my trust.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I still trust even when things to not go the way I want them to go?

 

PRAYER: Father, as someone once prayed, help my unbelief. I know what is true, but I know what I want. And it is hard to give up on my "kingdoms" and trust that yours is and will be immeasurably better. Forgive me and help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment