Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, July 28, 2022

QT 7/28/2022 Ps 22:12-15, Trusting God when it hurts

Psalm 22:12–15 (ESV) —

12 Many bulls encompass me;

strong bulls of Bashan surround me;

13 they open wide their mouths at me,

like a ravening and roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water,

and all my bones are out of joint;

my heart is like wax;

it is melted within my breast;

15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd,

and my tongue sticks to my jaws;

you lay me in the dust of death.

 

NOTE: This is a Messianic psalm that reveals Jesus' suffering 1000 years before his crucifixion, but I believe it is also David's suffering. Possibly during Absalom's revolt when David left everything and ran for his life out into the wilderness. David's words seem to indicate that he is in despair. The definition of despair is "the complete loss or absence of hope." In verse 19, we find out that he still has hope, but in the physical world he has experienced a complete loss. David did have hope, a spiritual hope. He may not have had much physical hope, but he always had the Lord. At times in this "seen" world, it is tough to have hope in the "unseen" world, but that is the definition of faith, believing in God despite the enemy's attack and any seeming evidence to the contrary. As Paul writes,

 

2 Corinthians 4:17–18 (NIV84) — 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

 

Life can be hard and the words of David in the Psalm shows that it was hard. But we must trust in our God and have faith that what we are going through will have a good purpose.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I trust God in the good times as well as the bad times?
  2. Am I only a fair-weather Christian?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you that you know me completely and you know what is going on in my life. Thank you for the note this morning that reminded me of a task that you have given me. Continue to lead me and guide me in the right decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment