Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 3, 2022

QT 10/3/2022 Gal 5:13-15, Living in peace, not grumbling

Galatians 5:13–15 (ESV) —

13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.

 

NOTE: While we are no longer under the law, it is not as if we are not under a law. In 6:2, Paul calls it the law of Christ, and equates it to the idea of bearing other's burdens, or if could characterize the law of Christ, I would say, "caring for others." And that is also Paul's argument in the above verses that the law is summed up in one thing, "love your neighbor as yourself." We all care about ourselves -- can we show the same care for others? Those without Christ bite and devour one another and allow themselves to be consumed by this hatred. There is great peace in not falling for this dart of Satan, which is the need to be avenged for some hurt another has done to you. I have a close relationship who can't let go of her pains, and so she is always in pain, and she is always bringing pain upon others. She is never truly at peace. She spends her life complaining about others and what they have done to her. How I pray that her eyes could be opened before she destroys another person.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I a complainer? We need to be honest with ourselves. We need to listen to ourselves. The first step down a path of pain is the inability to let go, and the second is the inability to love our enemy.

 

PRAYER: Father, I'm sure I struggle in this area as well. I can think of hurts although I don't think I dwell upon them. It would be easy to grumble and complain, and please show me when I am doing those things. I want to be at peace with you and with my fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment