Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, February 10, 2023

QT 2/10/2023 2 Sam 3:7-12, Hiding from sin

2 Samuel 3:7–12 (ESV) —

7 Now Saul had a concubine whose name was Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah. And Ish-bosheth said to Abner, “Why have you gone in to my father’s concubine?” 8 Then Abner was very angry over the words of Ish-bosheth and said, “Am I a dog’s head of Judah? To this day I keep showing steadfast love to the house of Saul your father, to his brothers, and to his friends, and have not given you into the hand of David. And yet you charge me today with a fault concerning a woman. 9 God do so to Abner and more also, if I do not accomplish for David what the Lord has sworn to him, 10 to transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Beersheba.” 11 And Ish-bosheth could not answer Abner another word, because he feared him.

12 And Abner sent messengers to David on his behalf, saying, “To whom does the land belong? Make your covenant with me, and behold, my hand shall be with you to bring over all Israel to you.”

 

NOTE: It is important to understand what the allegation was against Abner. First of all, it is an allegation from a King whose Father was paranoid about every action that could be interpreted as against him (possibly Ish-bosheth was developing the same paranoia as Saul had). Abner does not confirm the allegation. Only the King could take a previous King's concubines. The allegation then was that Abner was setting himself up as the King by the accused action. Abner has been incredibly loyal to the line of Saul. To be accused of usurping the throne seems particularly galling to Abner.

 

My difficulty with Abner's response is that Abner knows that the Lord swore the land to David, and yet he has been actively working against David. Only out of anger toward Ish-bosheth does Abner choose to do the right thing.

 

PONDER:

  1. When do we choose to obey -- when we are caught or when we know we are wrong?

 

PRAYER: Father, it is so easy to justify our sins. We know what the right thing is to do and we ignore our conscience. We justify our actions. We come up with excuses. I pray for wisdom and insight to see what I don't want to see, and to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment