Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

QT 2/8/2023 2 Sam 2:29-32, Go to God and choose an easier path

2 Samuel 2:29–32 (ESV) —

29 And Abner and his men went all that night through the Arabah. They crossed the Jordan, and marching the whole morning, they came to Mahanaim. 30 Joab returned from the pursuit of Abner. And when he had gathered all the people together, there were missing from David’s servants nineteen men besides Asahel. 31 But the servants of David had struck down of Benjamin 360 of Abner’s men. 32 And they took up Asahel and buried him in the tomb of his father, which was at Bethlehem. And Joab and his men marched all night, and the day broke upon them at Hebron.

 

NOTE: I feel for the armies. Abner's army, mostly from the tribe of Benjamin, Saul's tribe, they try to reestablish a presence in their home area, but it is next door to Judah, so after losing a battle they retreat across the Jordan for safety. As for Joab's army, he buries his brother and then marches all night to return to Hebron. That's worse than a redeye flight, you can't even try to sleep. And so, Israel (Abner represents) finds a large portion of its land in Philistine hands and another portion unreachable because of the presence of Judah. And they find themselves in a long war because one side will not accept God's command ("David was anointed by Samuel to be king") but instead cling to the old ways (Saul's tribe of Benjamin as ruler) because they worry about their loss of power and prestige (the tribe in power tended to have the best positions). If Abner could have let go earlier, so much pain could have been avoided. But Abner is like us, he chooses to learn a lesson the hard way rather than seek God's advice.

 

PONDER:

  1. How often am I stiff-necked and end up learning a lesson the hard way rather than seeking God for guidance?

 

PRAYER: Father, guide me these days. Help me to see what the years ahead hold. I don't want to make choices based on leisure but based on how I can be most useful for the kingdom. Lead me and guide me I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment