Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 6, 2023

QT 2/6/2023 2 Sam 2:8-11, Waiting upon God is hard

2 Samuel 2:8–11 (ESV) —

8 But Abner the son of Ner, commander of Saul’s army, took Ish-bosheth the son of Saul and brought him over to Mahanaim, 9 and he made him king over Gilead and the Ashurites and Jezreel and Ephraim and Benjamin and all Israel. 10 Ish-bosheth, Saul’s son, was forty years old when he began to reign over Israel, and he reigned two years. But the house of Judah followed David. 11 And the time that David was king in Hebron over the house of Judah was seven years and six months.

 

NOTE: There seems to be 5 1/2 lost years for the Northern tribes of Israel. Also, the ceremony to make Ish-bosheth occurs on the east side of the Jordan, possibly indicating that the Philistines controlled most of the west side. Still, a two-year reign is very short and one wonders what happened in the intervening years between Saul's death, and Ish-bosheth's start. Abner knew the prophecies, but as the Army commander he was the most powerful military leader and probably did not want to lose that position. Maybe, Abner was waiting for David to make his move. Maybe, David was waiting for God to bring the Northern tribes to him. This story and most of the next stories do not feature David much. Rather, men of the world, Abner, Ish-bosheth, Joab, and Asahel are the main players. But God uses their machinations to actually make David king over all Israel. It is hard to wait when we think we can scheme to bring our plans into being, but if it is from God, he will make it happen.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I waiting, am I acting prudently, or am I scheming?

 

PRAYER: Father, I need to wait upon you and see what you will do. Protect me from myself. Lead and guide me I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment