Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, February 24, 2023

QT 2/24/2023 2 Sam 6:16-23, Rooting for righteousness

2 Samuel 6:16–23 (ESV) —

16 As the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart. 17 And they brought in the ark of the Lord and set it in its place, inside the tent that David had pitched for it. And David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. 18 And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts 19 and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed, each to his house.

20 And David returned to bless his household. But Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel honored himself today, uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants’ female servants, as one of the vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!” 21 And David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord—and I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will make myself yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in your eyes. But by the female servants of whom you have spoken, by them I shall be held in honor.” 23 And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

 

NOTE: So what did Michal do since the verses that follow show her as not having any children? First of all, why was Michal not out there celebrating as the others were (she was watching from her room)? Second, did Michal actually worship idols, and so therefore was upset that the ark was coming to the city?

 

1 Samuel 19:13 (ESV) — 13 Michal took an image and laid it on the bed and put a pillow of goats’ hair at its head and covered it with the clothes.

 

Did she still have that "teraphim?" And whose side was she really standing? Saul never had a heart for God. Is Michal more a daughter of Saul than a wife of David?

 

I think Michal represents those in Israel who secretly worshipped pagan gods. There was no joy in their heart to see the Ark come to the capital. Her anger toward David had nothing to do with his dancing, but with her anger that the kingdom of God was advancing.

 

There are people like that all over the world and even in churches. They really have no desire for the kingdom to advance. They don't really even believe in the kingdom of God. And they are angry when they see righteousness reigning.

 

PONDER:

  1. When I hear news of the kingdom advancing or righteousness winning, how do I respond?

 

PRAYER: Father, I want your kingdom to come now. I want you to rule as you do in heaven. I do not care if all the things of this world are gone. I want to be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment