Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 27, 2023

QT 2/27/2023 2 Sam 7:1-7, Honoring and glorifying God

2 Samuel 7:1–7 (ESV) —

1 Now when the king lived in his house and the Lord had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, 2 the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent.” 3 And Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you.”

4 But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan, 5 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: Would you build me a house to dwell in? 6 I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling. 7 In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?” ’

 

NOTE: In typical Jewish thematic style, the writer has placed this event far forward of its' actual chronological data. This would be much closer to the end of David's life than at the beginning of his rule. This chapter does appear to be an apex. The covenant that is introduced and the length of God's words are longer than any other section outside of the Mosaic law. This section introduces the Davidic covenant. The Mosaic covenant was a treaty with curses and blessings. The Davidic covenant is a grant, and is based entirely on God's promises here to David. All of history will be measured against King David, and all the hopes of Israel rest on the restoration of the Kingdom under David's successor. This is the hope of Israel -- the story of the future Messiah.

 

At his point, the interchange begins with David feeling as if he lives in luxury while the image of the presence of God is only in a tent. The picture is not what he desires. From God's perspective, his name and presence has always been represented in this tent. The universe is God's abode -- what "house" can ever capture the grandeur of the God of the universe?

 

Yet, as the next verses indicate, God is pleased with David, because his heart is to honor and glorify God.

 

PONDER:

  1. The example of David makes me wonder what I do to honor and glorify God? Surely, we should do more than attend church. Yet most people can't seem to find enough time to even go to church weekly! Others do it not out of love but out of rote or some sense of increasing God's love for them. No one can increase the love of God that was shown for us on the cross. There is no action to increase God's love for a person who knows Jesus. So what is our heart to honor and glorify God? How is it shown?

 

PRAYER: Father, I am amazed at David. He never let the things of life, the administration of battles and a kingdom ever make his heart grow cold toward you. He truly wanted to glorify you. He recognized his weaknesses and failures and puny status, despite all his riches. He remained humble. What a beautiful picture of a strong and godly man.

No comments:

Post a Comment