Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

QT 2/21/2023 2 Sam 5:17-25, Seek God first

2 Samuel 5:17–25 (ESV) —

17 When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. But David heard of it and went down to the stronghold. 18 Now the Philistines had come and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 19 And David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?” And the Lord said to David, “Go up, for I will certainly give the Philistines into your hand.” 20 And David came to Baal-perazim, and David defeated them there. And he said, “The Lord has broken through my enemies before me like a breaking flood.” Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim. 21 And the Philistines left their idols there, and David and his men carried them away.

22 And the Philistines came up yet again and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim. 23 And when David inquired of the Lord, he said, “You shall not go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees. 24 And when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then rouse yourself, for then the Lord has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines.” 25 And David did as the Lord commanded him, and struck down the Philistines from Geba to Gezer.

 

NOTE: The first two events recorded after David's capture of Jerusalem as the new Jewish capital is the attack of the Philistines. They now saw Israel as a threat with the end of the war between the northern tribes and Judah. Unlike Samuel, the writer emphasizes David going to the Lord for direction first. David had great abilities as a warrior, but he did not rely on his skills or strength but on the Lord's leading. His actions probably involved Abiathar the priest who had been with David since the destruction of Nob. Abiathar also had the ephod. The instructions do not sound like God's word, but rather like a series of choices that are spelled out by the ephod. Both victories are tremendous and in both cases, God is given the praise for the success.

 

There are two major principles that this story of David illustrates. One, do not depend on your own skills, seek God (even when you think you are good at something), and two, give God the praise in all things (even when you think you are good at something).

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I seek God even in the things that I think I am good at?
  2. Do I give God the praise for my successes, even when I think I am good at it?

 

PRAYER: Father, I look to you for leading and guiding. I don't want to choose without you. I don't want to go forward without you. I don't want to depend on my strength but on your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment