Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 23, 2023

QT 2/23/2023 2 Sam 6:11-15, Enjoying the blessing of God

2 Samuel 6:11–15 (ESV) —

11 And the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household.

12 And it was told King David, “The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.” So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom to the city of David with rejoicing. 13 And when those who bore the ark of the Lord had gone six steps, he sacrificed an ox and a fattened animal. 14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the horn.

 

NOTE: I don't think David's desire was greed. He wanted God's blessing. And he wanted the identification of the presence of God in the capital city. It is apparent that a lot of work and preparation went into the movement of the ark. They did not use an cart, but rather carried it by the poles as prescribed. There is some symbolism as well. When the bearers had gone six steps, they rested, and a sacrifice was performed (which also made for a feast). The six steps and then a feast representing the six days of work and the seventh day reserved for God with no work. It would have taken many steps to go that far. David fed many people that day. Also, it doesn't appear that the entire tabernacle is moved to Jerusalem. I'm not sure why, although later in David's reign he does try to build a house to God in Jerusalem, but God leaves that to Solomon. I'm not sure if in the interim the rest of the tabernacle is moved.

 

What is the lesson? For Christians, we have the presence and name of God residing in our hearts. We have his blessing, but we don't seek him as we should. We should look forward to our time alone with God each morning. We should listen to him.

 

PONDER:

  1. What are you saying to me this morning Lord?
  2. What do I need to do this day?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to be quiet and listen. Speak to my heart. Lead and guide me in the way I should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment