Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

QT 2/14/2023 2 Sam 3:26-28, Treating everyone the same

2 Samuel 3:26–28 (ESV) —

26 When Joab came out from David’s presence, he sent messengers after Abner, and they brought him back from the cistern of Sirah. But David did not know about it. 27 And when Abner returned to Hebron, Joab took him aside into the midst of the gate to speak with him privately, and there he struck him in the stomach, so that he died, for the blood of Asahel his brother. 28 Afterward, when David heard of it, he said, “I and my kingdom are forever guiltless before the Lord for the blood of Abner the son of Ner.

 

NOTE: In so many ways, Joab's actions are wrong. Asahel was killed in battle, he was not murdered by Abner. The law required a trial if you thought otherwise. And most importantly, you could not kill a person in a designated city of refuge, as Hebron was. I don't doubt Abner had his impure motives for desiring peace. But, I'm not sure why David puts up with Joab. Like Ish-bosheth who feared Abner, David too seems to fear Joab. Either that, or David knew Joab very well and they were good friends. They were related, Joab was the son of his Mom's sister. And Joab spent many years in the wilderness with David. That does count for something. But Joab is wrong, and David is wrong for not confronting Joab in the previous verses  (at least there is no record of David's response to Joab's livid speech).

 

Relationships are important, but at some point, we need to put our foot down. We can't let sin go unchecked. Joab is out of control, and while he remains a very loyal man to David, he is a selfish man protecting his position and authority.

 

PONDER:

  1. Are there relationships where I am overlooking sin because of my friendship to the person?

 

PRAYER: Father, there is a friend that is closer than a brother, and that friend is a person willing to confront sin. Keep my eyes free of the blinders that allow me to accept actions by one person that I would accept in another person. I want to be a fair man.

No comments:

Post a Comment