Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

QT 2/28/2023 2 Sam 7:8-17, We would be nothing without our Lord

2 Samuel 7:8–17 (ESV) —

8 Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. 9 And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. 10 And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly, 11 from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. 12 When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, 15 but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. 16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’ ” 17 In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.

 

NOTE: In this very long discourse from God to David (thru Nathan), the Lord emphasizes some things which should be considered by all of us. I don't mean to compare our lives to the Davidic covenant (one of the eight major covenants of the bible), but I do see some principles in God's reply to David. As we respond to God, we need to consider the following:

 

  1. Where have I come from and where was I heading before encountering Christ? ["… I took you from the pasture, …"]
  2. How have I seen God intervening through the years of my life for my good (as defined by God)? ["And I have been with you …"]
  3. Where am I today because of what God has done? ["And I will make for you a great name?"]
  4. How has what God did in my life impacted my generation -- something like the Jimmy Stewart character in "It's a Wonderful Life"? [" … my people … I will plant them … own place … not disturbed …"]
  5. What is my house today (family, responsibilities, spiritual maturity)? ["… the Lord will make you a house …"]
  6. What will be my legacy (physical children, spiritual children (disciples), and lives touched)? ["When your days are fulfilled … I will raise up your offspring…"]

 

Father, these are all great questions to chew upon in my own life and to give thanks to you for all you have already done to me.

 

PONDER:

  1. Humility is developed when we recognize how little we really have accomplished. Do I see it? Do I recognize all that God has done?

 

PRAYER: Father, what am I that you are mindful of? Why do I even exist? I would have nothing without you. I would be nowhere with a trail of trash behind me. All that I have you have given and all that remains to be seen will be your mercy to me. Thank you. Forgive me for my failure to look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment