Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, February 3, 2023

QT 2/3/2023 2 Sam:1-7, Even the will of God can be a difficult path

2 Samuel 2:1–7 (ESV) —

1 After this David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?” And the Lord said to him, “Go up.” David said, “To which shall I go up?” And he said, “To Hebron.” 2 So David went up there, and his two wives also, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 3 And David brought up his men who were with him, everyone with his household, and they lived in the towns of Hebron. 4 And the men of Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah.

When they told David, “It was the men of Jabesh-gilead who buried Saul,” 5 David sent messengers to the men of Jabesh-gilead and said to them, “May you be blessed by the Lord, because you showed this loyalty to Saul your lord and buried him. 6 Now may the Lord show steadfast love and faithfulness to you. And I will do good to you because you have done this thing. 7 Now therefore let your hands be strong, and be valiant, for Saul your lord is dead, and the house of Judah has anointed me king over them.”

 

NOTE: There is a tendency to think that after Saul's death, David easily assumed the reigns of Kingship. He did not. He did have ties to the Calebites who lived in Hebron through his wife and through the priests (Hebron was an Aaronic city), but not all from Judah accepted him. I doubt the Ziphites (who disclosed his locations to Saul) were happy. So, David asks God first what he should do and then where he should live. And God gives a direction, yes to moving back and to Hebron. David befriends the Benjaminites, because he was sincere, although they were in no hurry to make him king. Now, it will take seven years for David to gain the promised kingdom. They will be difficult years. These are years of big changes and they require prayer, no matter how the path may appear. At this point, David is doing all the right things -- start with prayer and do the right thing.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I approach new situations in my life with prayer or in my own wisdom? I know what I should do.

 

PRAYER: Father, I know what I should do, but that isn't always enough. Spirit, I need your help to say no to myself and to the temptations of my flesh. I need to seek you God in prayer whatever the situation in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment