Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 13, 2023

QT 3/13/2023 2 Sam 12:4-9, Remember who you are

2 Samuel 12:4–9 (ESV) —

4 Now there came a traveler to the rich man, and he was unwilling to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the guest who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.” 5 Then David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man, and he said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this deserves to die, 6 and he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.”

7 Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you out of the hand of Saul. 8 And I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your arms and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were too little, I would add to you as much more. 9 Why have you despised the word of the Lord, to do what is evil in his sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and have taken his wife to be your wife and have killed him with the sword of the Ammonites.

 

NOTE: I believe that this is the problem of wealth and power. You never really understand it until you live in it for a while. You begin to think you can do whatever you want. You begin to think the rules don't apply to you. You begin think you are special. David, in fact, was special but not because of his wealth and power and victories. David was special because he set his heart to know God and please God. Where is that young boy who was so angry that a Philistine would dare to challenge the armies of God?

 

The parable God gave Nathan was a parable of David in more ways than it appears. David was the selfish rich man who had forgot where he came from. And this is the danger to all of us. A few flights in first class, and we begin to see ourselves differently and expect to be treated so. I've seen it over and over again. Power rots the soul.

 

We need to take some time and remember our humble beginnings. We need to remember Jesus, who emptied himself of some of what it means to be God, to live among us. He was born in a barn -- he learned to work with his hands -- he had no place to call home. The most important thing we can do is to spend time with Jesus, whether poor and homeless, or rich. And ask ourselves the question each day, what is the right thing to do today?

 

PONDER:

  1. What is the right thing to do today?
  2. Where have I come from? Who am I without the stuff? Who am I without the titles? Who am I without the fancy sheets of paper that hang on the wall? Who am I really, especially when standing in the light of God's awesome holiness?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for thinking of myself more highly than I ought. I am nothing without Jesus. I never deserved, nor do I now deserve to be a child in the family of God. I am the son who found himself in the pig pen unworthy of being made in the image of God. But in your grace, you lifted me up and embraced me. Thank you for your unbelievable mercy and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment