Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

QT 3/22/2023 2 Sam 13:34-39, How shall we then live?

2 Samuel 13:34–39 (ESV) —

34 But Absalom fled. And the young man who kept the watch lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, many people were coming from the road behind him by the side of the mountain. 35 And Jonadab said to the king, “Behold, the king’s sons have come; as your servant said, so it has come about.” 36 And as soon as he had finished speaking, behold, the king’s sons came and lifted up their voice and wept. And the king also and all his servants wept very bitterly.

37 But Absalom fled and went to Talmai the son of Ammihud, king of Geshur. And David mourned for his son day after day. 38 So Absalom fled and went to Geshur, and was there three years. 39 And the spirit of the king longed to go out to Absalom, because he was comforted about Amnon, since he was dead.

 

NOTE: Jonadab started this mess and here he appears as one of the good guys announcing that the King's sons are okay. Jonadab is that lever that might have changed everything if he had not noticed Ammon's depression (and given evil advice) or had not been around that fateful day. God could have also brought a spiritual friend to Ammon who might have given him good advice. There are so many things that could have gone differently, but without God's hand of protection, things very quickly tumble out of control.

 

I think that is evident in our country. Sin has gone from hidden to tolerated to celebrated to law. God's hand of protection is gone. Things will get worse, there is no one to turn the levers in different directions. This is what happens when God is despised, and men believe that they are their own gods. The smallest shreds of decency are slipping away. Morality will be given some lip service, if not redefined. It won't be anarchy everywhere but it will feel like it.

 

What do we do? We share our faith in Jesus for it is the only hope for the individual. The nation is not important but individuals who are lost are important.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I still cling to my lifestyle and things?
  2. Do I believe my faith is more important than my lifestyle? How do I show it? What do I say?

 

PRAYER: Father, give me boldness to say the right things. Help me to be in the places that matter. I don't want to shun evil people or else I will have no ministry. Help me to understand your purpose for me in these last few decades of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment