Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

QT 3/14/2023 2 Samuel 12:10-15, Always be sensitive to the Spirit's conviction of sin

2 Samuel 12:10–15 (ESV) —

10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ 11 Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house. And I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. 12 For you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel and before the sun.’ ” 13 David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. 14 Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the Lord, the child who is born to you shall die.” 15 Then Nathan went to his house.

And the Lord afflicted the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and he became sick.

 

NOTE: God fulfills his judgment word for word. His neighbor (also translated friend or companion) would be his son Absalom who would have sexual relations on the roof of the palace with the wives left behind. Also, three sons of  David would die because of the sword, as well as the child. As for David, he did not defend himself. He did not dispute the accusations. He was not angry with God. He accepted God's word. He says very little except, "I have sinned against the Lord." Six words in English which we would be advised to you often.

 

Sometimes we feel defeated by the same sin over and over again. Usually they are sins similar to David's (at least according to the Sermon on the Mount: lust equal to adultery; anger equal to murder; and envy or theft for what another owns). We must not give up in our battle against sin. We must always repent (I have sinned against the Lord), ask for his forgiveness (1 John 1:9), and ask for his mercy …

 

Psalm 51:1–2 (ESV) —

1 Have mercy on me, O God,

according to your steadfast love;

according to your abundant mercy

blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

and cleanse me from my sin!

 

PONDER:

  1. Are we still sensitive to our secret sins?
  2. Do we still confess our sins to God?

 

PRAYER: Father, it seems like each day there is something that causes me to say "I have sinned against the Lord." Usually, they are in my thoughts more often than any action, but it is still sin. Forgive me, have mercy on me, please show me your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment