Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 27, 2023

QT 3/27/2023 2 Sam 14:22-24, Dealing with sin before it becomes a bigger problem and brings death

2 Samuel 14:22–24 (ESV) —

22 And Joab fell on his face to the ground and paid homage and blessed the king. And Joab said, “Today your servant knows that I have found favor in your sight, my lord the king, in that the king has granted the request of his servant.” 23 So Joab arose and went to Geshur and brought Absalom to Jerusalem. 24 And the king said, “Let him dwell apart in his own house; he is not to come into my presence.” So Absalom lived apart in his own house and did not come into the king’s presence.

 

NOTE: This is a difficult thing to parse out. On one side, Absalom has committed murder and has not been judged, other than exile for three years. So, bringing him back without some penalty does not seem right. Yet, on the other side of the coin, relationships require closure, and David's refusal to reconnect is not right. In the end, Absalom will revolt against his father and die in battle.

 

There is no perfect answer for these human problems. Technically, Absalom should have faced justice, but because Ammon did not face justice, he was partially justified. Maybe if David had acted against Ammon, this story line could have been different. But with God having withdrawn his hand (to a degree) because of David's sin, it is hard to know.

 

So, what do we learn? We need to deal with sin and we need to be consistent. Lies and sins come back to haunt us. And sin only grows. As a speaker said this week, "the wages of sin is death." If we do not break the patterns of sin, we are bringing a sort of death to us. We can't lose our salvation, but we can lose our witness, and our usefulness for the kingdom.

 

PONDER:

  1. What are the sins that I have not dealt with?

 

PRAYER: Father, search me and know me and reveal to me my hidden sins. I want to use my remaining years to bring you glory, not shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment