Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

QT 3/1/2023 2 Sam 7:18-29, We are unworthy of God

2 Samuel 7:18–21 (NIV84) —

18 Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said:

“Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 19 And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord?

20 “What more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Sovereign Lord. 21 For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant.

 

2 Samuel 7:23 (NIV84) —

23 And who is like your people Israel—the one nation on earth that God went out to redeem as a people for himself, and to make a name for himself, and to perform great and awesome wonders by driving out nations and their gods from before your people, whom you redeemed from Egypt?

 

NOTE: David asks two questions which are very helpful to ask. Who am I? And who are the people I am invested into (in this case the church)?

 

The first question, who am I, is answered just the same as David. I am unworthy. To us, David seems worthy. He was a man after God's heart. But he was also a man who failed. David recognizes his complete unworthiness. He is amazed at God's kindness to him and his family. He is overwhelmed by God's kindness. He is beyond belief that God could take time to acknowledge him except for God's inherent omniscience. He is almost speechless except he has to say something. This is how we should view our salvation. Who are we? Who am I? There is nothing in me that deserves to be saved. I am a sinful man. The more Paul grew in the Lord the more he recognized his own sinfulness. At the end of his life, he wrote Timothy to say he was the chief of sinners. It is only by unbelievable grace that we carry his name and are part of his family.

 

And what is the church? A very unworthy group that except for the grace of Jesus Christ is nothing. We are the bride of Christ. We certainly don't live it. Unfortunately, we all struggle with sin, and too many forget that they were saved by grace, not by works or anything good at all.

 

We should be awed beyond comprehension that God's grace saved us. And that we are part of the mystery, the church, the bride of Christ. We are unworthy. Grace, how great a debtor I am.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I really understand my own unworthiness?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for pride. Thank you for salvation. Thank you for mercy. Thank you for the grace that was shed upon me. I do not deserve your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment