Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, March 4, 2023

QT 3/3/2023 2 Sam 8:15-18, What does justice and righteousness mean?

2 Samuel 8:15–18 (NIV84) —

15 David reigned over all Israel, doing what was just and right for all his people. 16 Joab son of Zeruiah was over the army; Jehoshaphat son of Ahilud was recorder; 17 Zadok son of Ahitub and Ahimelech son of Abiathar were priests; Seraiah was secretary; 18 Benaiah son of Jehoiada was over the Kerethites and Pelethites; and David’s sons were royal advisers.

 

NOTE: Justice and righteousness are two key attributes for a leader. There are many references in scripture to these two key words. My favorite is the prophecy of Jesus' kingdom in Isaiah.

 

Isaiah 9:7 (NIV84) —

7 Of the increase of his government and peace

there will be no end.

He will reign on David’s throne

and over his kingdom,

establishing and upholding it

with justice and righteousness

from that time on and forever.

The zeal of the Lord Almighty

will accomplish this.

 

How do I apply these characteristics in my own life? Righteousness is doing the right thing, which is easy to say but what does that mean? [Sometimes it is better to focus on the negative in order to bring out the meaning.] The opposite of doing the right thing is doing things for the wrong reason. Wrong reasons include doing things for your own benefit and not others. An example is trying to look good or to save face or to profit.

 

Similarly,  we can look at justice. The opposite of justice is when our decision favors one party over another for the wrong reason.  Wrong reasons include favoritism, overt biases, currying future favor, and bribes.

 

Our leaders must address these issues in their governing and leading.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I act in righteousness and justice?
  2. Are my decisions made for the right reasons? Or am I fooling myself in some area?

 

PRAYER: Father, open my eyes so that I may see where I am acting selfishly and not in accordance with your Word. Most of the wrong reasons revolved around selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment