Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

QT 3/28/2023 2 Sam 15:1-6, Too much leisure can give the enemy a foothold in your life

2 Samuel 15:1–6 (ESV) —

1 After this Absalom got himself a chariot and horses, and fifty men to run before him. 2 And Absalom used to rise early and stand beside the way of the gate. And when any man had a dispute to come before the king for judgment, Absalom would call to him and say, “From what city are you?” And when he said, “Your servant is of such and such a tribe in Israel,” 3 Absalom would say to him, “See, your claims are good and right, but there is no man designated by the king to hear you.” 4 Then Absalom would say, “Oh that I were judge in the land! Then every man with a dispute or cause might come to me, and I would give him justice.” 5 And whenever a man came near to pay homage to him, he would put out his hand and take hold of him and kiss him. 6 Thus Absalom did to all of Israel who came to the king for judgment. So Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.

 

NOTE: This story and the next story of Sheba will consume 5 chapters. It is a painful time with a lot of tumult, not from external enemies, but from within. My first impression is that David failed early on to detect what was happening and to put a stop to it. But it is not enough just to stop something, it is important to replace it with something else. David should have given Absalom a job. He was not training him to be king by letting him squander each day in leisure. Work is important. Absalom needed a task to make himself feel useful. Otherwise sin is crouching at the door, waiting for that opportunity to snare you. As I contemplate retirement, it must not be a time of leisure, but it must be disciplined and it must include work. There is much I can do and should do so as not to give the enemy a foothold. This can be a great time in my life if I manage it well.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I use my days? Leisure is good but only in moderation.

 

PRAYER: Father, help me as I spend some time planning to use my days wisely. This can be a great new time in my life if I am wise. Lead me and guide me. Make your will clear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment