Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 20, 2023

QT 3/20/2023 2 Sam 13:15-22, Remembering our place and the devastating consequences of lack of self-control

2 Samuel 13:15–22 (ESV) —

15 Then Amnon hated her with very great hatred, so that the hatred with which he hated her was greater than the love with which he had loved her. And Amnon said to her, “Get up! Go!” 16 But she said to him, “No, my brother, for this wrong in sending me away is greater than the other that you did to me.” But he would not listen to her. 17 He called the young man who served him and said, “Put this woman out of my presence and bolt the door after her.” 18 Now she was wearing a long robe with sleeves, for thus were the virgin daughters of the king dressed. So his servant put her out and bolted the door after her. 19 And Tamar put ashes on her head and tore the long robe that she wore. And she laid her hand on her head and went away, crying aloud as she went.

20 And her brother Absalom said to her, “Has Amnon your brother been with you? Now hold your peace, my sister. He is your brother; do not take this to heart.” So Tamar lived, a desolate woman, in her brother Absalom’s house. 21 When King David heard of all these things, he was very angry. 22 But Absalom spoke to Amnon neither good nor bad, for Absalom hated Amnon, because he had violated his sister Tamar.

 

NOTE: This section is the very definition of lust -- when you want something so much that after you have it, you hate it. Lust is sin and as such it also affects others. Tamar's life changed forever. Absalom hated Ammon. Ammon hated Tamar. David was very angry. Jonadab, son of Shimeah fueled the sin, but ultimately is was Ammon's sin. Like David, he destroyed multiple lives because of his inability to control his lust.

 

We are all guilty of sexual sins by Jesus' definition ("whoever looks at a woman lustfully has committed adultery in his heart"). But Ammon and David let it go too far. Maybe, when you are the King's son, you believe you can do as you please. Pampered children are dangerous when they are left without controls or consequences. It does not say what David did, but it appears he did nothing. Much like the situation with Joab, David does not act against those closest to him. He has no problems judging a stranger, but a friend or a family member seems to be his weakness.

 

The best thing we can do for our children is let them face consequences for their actions. No one is above God's law. It is hard, but hopefully the lessons given when they were young are enough to keep them from the poor decision as an adult.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I see myself any different than others?
  2. Do I hold myself to a higher or lower standard than to others?

 

PRAYER: Father, protect me from the attacks of Satan. Protect me from money. Protect me from pride. Help me to maintain a sane estimation of myself -- a sinner, unworthy of salvation, but still saved by unmerited favor.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment