Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

QT 3/7/2023 2 Sam 10:1-5, Doing the right thing

2 Samuel 10:1–5 (ESV) —

1 After this the king of the Ammonites died, and Hanun his son reigned in his place. 2 And David said, “I will deal loyally with Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father dealt loyally with me.” So David sent by his servants to console him concerning his father. And David’s servants came into the land of the Ammonites. 3 But the princes of the Ammonites said to Hanun their lord, “Do you think, because David has sent comforters to you, that he is honoring your father? Has not David sent his servants to you to search the city and to spy it out and to overthrow it?” 4 So Hanun took David’s servants and shaved off half the beard of each and cut off their garments in the middle, at their hips, and sent them away. 5 When it was told David, he sent to meet them, for the men were greatly ashamed. And the king said, “Remain at Jericho until your beards have grown and then return.”

 

NOTE: This is a good example of trying to do the right thing, and having others misinterpret it or intentionally use it in an evil way. It is quite possible that certain Ammonites saw David's delegation as a means to end the treaty and force a conflict to their liking. By humiliating the delegation, they all knew it meant war. The Ammonites prepared for this eventuality by hiring a very large force and positioning them in a strategic location. That story will be tomorrow's quiet time.

 

When circumstances do not turn out well despite our best intentions, that does not mean we reevaluate our strategy of doing the right thing. We represent the God who calls us to live in righteousness which means doing the right thing even when you are rebuffed. Doing the right thing is not a guarantee of a positive outcome, but it shows obedience to God and a love for other people. David was particularly sensitive to the shame incurred upon the delegation, and asked them to remain away for a time. He could have used them to gather support for a war by showing them off to the people, but that would have been an abuse of their humanity. Instead, David does the right thing. Sometimes the right thing will not help your agenda.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I do the right thing or the thing that advances my desires?
  2. Do I ask the question -- what is the right thing to do in this situation?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for your insight into life. I want to be a good witness to you in my life by doing the right thing. But sometimes I forget to ask that question before I choose an action. Help me to evaluate my decisions in light of that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment