Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

QT 3/8/2023 2 Sam 10:9-14, In important tasks, start with the easiest

2 Samuel 10:9–14 (ESV) —

9 When Joab saw that the battle was set against him both in front and in the rear, he chose some of the best men of Israel and arrayed them against the Syrians. 10 The rest of his men he put in the charge of Abishai his brother, and he arrayed them against the Ammonites. 11 And he said, “If the Syrians are too strong for me, then you shall help me, but if the Ammonites are too strong for you, then I will come and help you. 12 Be of good courage, and let us be courageous for our people, and for the cities of our God, and may the Lord do what seems good to him.” 13 So Joab and the people who were with him drew near to battle against the Syrians, and they fled before him. 14 And when the Ammonites saw that the Syrians fled, they likewise fled before Abishai and entered the city. Then Joab returned from fighting against the Ammonites and came to Jerusalem.

 

NOTE: As a former military commander and a wargame hobbyist all my life, I would not have placed a lot of hope on the strategy, yet it was really all they could do once they found themselves surrounded. Scouts should have discovered this potential encirclement sooner and so maybe that was included in the lessons learned. But Joab makes the strategy better, by employing his best men against the Syrians, and attacking first. The Syrians were paid soldiers (mercenaries) and most likely to break first (they were not protecting their homelands). Facing the best warriors, the Syrians broke rather quickly. The Syrians were the ace in the hole, the Ammonites knew they could not defeat Israel alone, which is why they bought mercenaries. They probably could have won still, but emotions got the better of them and they fled when they saw the Syrians fleeing.

 

There are some good principles here. Attack the easiest thing first. Get it out of the way, so you can focus on the tougher problem. Not sure if this works in all things. If it is easy and unimportant, I think I would ignore it. But this case was easier and still important, so get those out of the way first.

 

PONDER:

  1. What are the important things to do today? What is the easiest -- get it out of the way first.

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to use my day wisely. Give me grace and wisdom to work hard and honor you with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment