Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, June 16, 2023

QT 6/16/2023 Ezek 8:5-6, Do I have an idol?

Ezekiel 8:5–6 (ESV) —

5 Then he said to me, “Son of man, lift up your eyes now toward the north.” So I lifted up my eyes toward the north, and behold, north of the altar gate, in the entrance, was this image of jealousy. 6 And he said to me, “Son of man, do you see what they are doing, the great abominations that the house of Israel are committing here, to drive me far from my sanctuary? But you will see still greater abominations.”

 

NOTE: In this chapter, God takes Ezekiel on a tour of Jerusalem and shows him 4 cases of idol worship. Throughout the passage, the focus is on God's jealousy. The emotion of jealousy has a positive aspect (a man for his wife) and a negative aspect (a person for someone else's material things). In this case, it is clearly centered on the relationship between God and his people (or rather the lack of). What is idolatry? Anything that captures our love and emotions and keeps us from a relationship with God is idolatry. I can be a title, a job, a possession, money (cannot love God and mammon), a hobby -- anything that is more important than God and keeps us from meeting with God.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is the first thing I think about doing when I wake up?
  2. Where does meeting with God fall, in my list of things to do each day?
  3. Do my actions match my words?

 

PRAYER: Father, protect me from the allure of things. As I start a new adventure in life that will not require I wake up at a specific time, I pray the habits of meeting with you first, will remain. I love my time with you. I pray I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment