Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 26, 2023

QT 6/26/2023 Ezek 12:1-3, Choosing to hear

Ezekiel 12:1–3 (ESV) —

1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, you dwell in the midst of a rebellious house, who have eyes to see, but see not, who have ears to hear, but hear not, for they are a rebellious house. 3 As for you, son of man, prepare for yourself an exile’s baggage, and go into exile by day in their sight. You shall go like an exile from your place to another place in their sight. Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house.

 

NOTE: The word "rebellious" is hard to miss throughout the Book of Ezekiel (rebel, rebellion, or rebellious occur in ten passages, while the rest of the OT only has 7 passages)). The Oxford Languages defines the word as "showing a desire to resist authority, control, or convention." The authority is God. The control or convention is his Word, given to us. Could any people say they are not a rebellious house today? Does anyone submit to God and his Word? Is there any nation not actively involved in diluting or destroying the truth of God's word. Rebels do not see, even though they have eyes. Rebels do not hear, even though they have ears. Rebels do not understand, even though they have minds. Rebels are deceived and willingly so, because 35 passages in the book of Ezekiel is the idea of hear, hearing, and listening:

 

He who will hear, let him hear; and he who will refuse to hear, let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house. (Ezek 3:27)

 

It is our choice to listen and obey. It is our choice to refuse. It is our choice to be deceived. God will not force us to listen to truth.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I hear only what I want to hear?
  2. Or am I open to the whole truth of the bible, no matter how it might sound to my (supposed) modern mind?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the word. Protect me from rebellion. I want to hear and listen to your word. I do not want to be a rebel. You are my Lord and you control my life. You are my King. What you say, I need to do. Give me the strength to be obedient and the understanding to see when my sinful mind/heart does not want to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment