Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

QT 6/7/2023 Ezek 3:4-11, Where do we get our info on who God is?

Ezekiel 3:4–11 (ESV) —

4 And he said to me, “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with my words to them. 5 For you are not sent to a people of foreign speech and a hard language, but to the house of Israel— 6 not to many peoples of foreign speech and a hard language, whose words you cannot understand. Surely, if I sent you to such, they would listen to you. 7 But the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, for they are not willing to listen to me: because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a stubborn heart. 8 Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces, and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. 9 Like emery harder than flint have I made your forehead. Fear them not, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.” 10 Moreover, he said to me, “Son of man, all my words that I shall speak to you receive in your heart, and hear with your ears. 11 And go to the exiles, to your people, and speak to them and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ whether they hear or refuse to hear.”

 

NOTE: This is an absolutely fascinating passage and should strike fear in the heart of the church. Those who should knew God will be less likely to listen than those who do not know God. He says his people have: hard foreheads, stubborn hearts. He says they will give you "looks." I assume the looks are of contempt. What catches the eye is the statement that if Ezekiel was going to a people with a foreign speech and a hard language that he did not understand, Ezekiel was more likely to have success, but because he is going to his own people who supposedly know the Lord, he will face much opposition. Why is that? In our pride, have we so mixed the word of God with the worldly culture that we are not willing to listen to truth? God's word is truth and it cannot be ignored because you don't like what it says or that it seems mean or not caring enough or not what you imagine God to be. We don't serve an idol of our own making (which would be a stupid, foolish, waste of time), but we serve the God revealed in the bible. We don't get to add or subtract from the revealed God of scripture.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where does my truth come from, my interpretation of God, or direct from the revealed word of God?

 

PRAYER: Father, I don't want to be a rebellious, hard hearted, stubborn old fool. I always want your word to be fresh to me and to speak to me and to challenge me to walk more deeply with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment