Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 19, 2023

QT 6/19/2023 Ezek 9:3-11, May we always groan over sin

Ezekiel 9:3–11 (ESV) —

3 Now the glory of the God of Israel had gone up from the cherub on which it rested to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed in linen, who had the writing case at his waist. 4 And the Lord said to him, “Pass through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it.” 5 And to the others he said in my hearing, “Pass through the city after him, and strike. Your eye shall not spare, and you shall show no pity. 6 Kill old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women, but touch no one on whom is the mark. And begin at my sanctuary.” So they began with the elders who were before the house. 7 Then he said to them, “Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain. Go out.” So they went out and struck in the city. 8 And while they were striking, and I was left alone, I fell upon my face, and cried, “Ah, Lord God! Will you destroy all the remnant of Israel in the outpouring of your wrath on Jerusalem?”

9 Then he said to me, “The guilt of the house of Israel and Judah is exceedingly great. The land is full of blood, and the city full of injustice. For they say, ‘The Lord has forsaken the land, and the Lord does not see.’ 10 As for me, my eye will not spare, nor will I have pity; I will bring their deeds upon their heads.”

11 And behold, the man clothed in linen, with the writing case at his waist, brought back word, saying, “I have done as you commanded me.”

 

NOTE: There are two important things that happen in this passage, first, the glory of God, also called the Shekinah glory leaves the holy of holies and moves to the threshold of the temple. This is the first stage in the departure of God's glory from the temple, and from the land. This would be an appalling sight for any Jew. The process will complete in chapters 10 and 11. I believe that only Ezekiel saw it. Secondly, God marks those who grieved and lamented over the detestable things done. The mark is something like a cross (X) and is a picture seen in the Passover and later in Revelation. Those with the mark are the remnant. I don't know if they physically survived or if the salvation was only spiritual, but their spirits moaned over the sin of the land.

 

This month my country celebrates pride in their sin. We should be grieving not celebrating. We should be ashamed for our sin. Satan's sin was his pride. He believed himself better than God. He has convinced the world to follow his ways that are better, departing from God's ways. He has blinded the world with sexual perversions, demonic control, and a loss of hope.

 

We are the remnant, a light for truth in the midst of an increasing darkness. We must not celebrate sin. We must identify with truth. We must be courageous. We must love sinners. We must pray for those around us to be born again.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my witness like? Do I draw people to the savior through love?

 

PRAYER: Father, give me wisdom to identify with Jesus in the midst of a corrupt society. I pray they can see the difference in my life. I pray that my country might repent in shame over their evil. I pray their eyes would be opened. I pray you might revive their spirits still.

No comments:

Post a Comment