Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 10, 2023

QT 8/10/2023 Ezek 25:15-17, Let go of the pain

Ezekiel 25:15–17 (ESV) —

15 “Thus says the Lord God: Because the Philistines acted revengefully and took vengeance with malice of soul to destroy in never-ending enmity, 16 therefore thus says the Lord God, Behold, I will stretch out my hand against the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethites and destroy the rest of the seacoast. 17 I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them.”

 

NOTE: Technically, the Philistines no longer exist, but the cities still do, and the people who live in those cities represent the continued Philistine threat. The Philistines are Israel's thorn in the side. While they don't exist as a nation, they still exist as the people group, Palestinians on the Gaza strip.

 

I think the lesson here is the need to let go. The passages says that they "… acted revengefully and took vengeance with malice of soul to destroy in never-ending enmity, …." Wow, that is some serious bitterness. Bitterness does not just destroy others, it destroys oneself. It is a very dangerous emotion. It is hard to let go when another has hurt us or cheated us. It is easy to have pity parties. It is easy to blame our struggles on others. What is the solution?

 

First step, repent of the bitterness. Emotions left unchecked can destroy churches, families, and friends. Second, let go of the issue. Life is hard. Things happened which are not good. A good saying, "it is what it is." We have to realize that life on earth is deeply marred by the rebellion that started in the garden. Third, takes steps to fix things rather than wait for others to fix things. What can I do to correct it? This is taking responsibility for the results. Fourth, let go again. It may cost time and money and a lot of things to remedy the problem and the temptation is to hold onto the wrong. Just let it go. A good application is to pray for the good of the individuals who wronged you. Pray for their salvation.

 

PONDER:

  1. Are their things I have not let go?
  2. Are their people who have hurt me?

 

PRAYER: Father, life throws lots of curve balls, and I feel like I keep striking out. But, the reality of this game I play (live) is that the score at the end is already known -- we win. Help me to rest and trust in your hand. Give me your peace that passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment