Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

QT 8/15/2023 Ezek 27:28-31, Remembering our real mission

Ezekiel 27:28–31 (ESV) —

28 At the sound of the cry of your pilots

the countryside shakes,

29 and down from their ships

come all who handle the oar.

The mariners and all the pilots of the sea

stand on the land

30 and shout aloud over you

and cry out bitterly.

They cast dust on their heads

and wallow in ashes;

31 they make themselves bald for you

and put sackcloth on their waist,

and they weep over you in bitterness of soul,

with bitter mourning.

 

NOTE: It is hard to see your home, your place of work, possibly your place of fun, all come to destruction. Recently I had my home inspected for foundation damage. In some places, the second floor doors had shifted even more than the first floor, meaning the roof was doing likewise. I began to be worried that my whole house might fall down on us. The problem is arrested and by next month should be solved, but it is a worrisome feeling. Likewise, realizing you might lose your job or have no work. I was never without a job, but I do remember being worried that my company would not find work one year. That was one reason I decided to look for another job.

 

I doubt most people cared about Tyre, but they did care about their livelihood, their home, and their expected earnings. I'm sure they cried bitterly, but more for themselves than for Tyre.

 

My country seems to be on the verge of imploding. And yes I worry. But it is probably more for my family, my home, my savings, and the basic necessities of life. If anarchy broke out, how would we survive?

 

And that is where faith comes in because faith is believing that God cares and is aware of my situation no matter how bad it gets. It is hard to give our worries to the Lord, because it is so hard to truly let go of them in a real and not fake sense.

 

PONDER:

  1. In these last days, what am I doing to get the gospel to as many people as possible?

 

PRAYER: Father, I need to be about the mission. These first six weeks of retirement have been good but busy. I feel like I am still in preparation mode for my next job. Help me to use these days wisely as I ramp up into more and more ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment