Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

QT 8/23/2023 Ezek 30:17-19, Learn to be humble without being forced

Ezekiel 30:17–19 (ESV) —

17 The young men of On and of Pi-beseth shall fall by the sword,

and the women shall go into captivity.

18 At Tehaphnehes the day shall be dark,

when I break there the yoke bars of Egypt,

and her proud might shall come to an end in her;

she shall be covered by a cloud,

and her daughters shall go into captivity.

19 Thus I will execute judgments on Egypt.

Then they will know that I am the Lord.”

 

NOTE: The story is repeated for each of the countries that God brings judgment. There is not much to say. Egypt shall fall by the power of Babylon too. In the earlier chapter we learned that she shall be scattered for a season (40 years) and shall never again be the power she once was. In this continued lament, I highlighted verse 18, "…and her proud might shall come to an end in her; …." I think this is a principle of pride, it always brings about a fall. And the corollary principle of humility is that God will raise up the humble at some point. So, from a human point of view, it is better to be humble than to be proud. But humility is always a better look -- it just is. But it is hard because we want people to think better of us (which is pride), but humility actually gives the better look. I need to work on humility. I am terrible about leaving those things to the Lord. But that is my goal in retirement, to change how I reflect on my life to others.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do we listen to others or are we too interested in telling our story or similar experience? Why?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to see myself in those moments when I want to brag or tell my story. Give my grace to live in a manner worthy of you. Let me boast in Jesus and his work on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment