Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

QT 8/16/2023 Ezek 28:1-10, The danger of pride in our wealth and accomplishments

Ezekiel 28:1–10 (ESV) —

1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God:

“Because your heart is proud,

and you have said, ‘I am a god,

I sit in the seat of the gods,

in the heart of the seas,’

yet you are but a man, and no god,

though you make your heart like the heart of a god—

3 you are indeed wiser than Daniel;

no secret is hidden from you;

4 by your wisdom and your understanding

you have made wealth for yourself,

and have gathered gold and silver

into your treasuries;

5 by your great wisdom in your trade

you have increased your wealth,

and your heart has become proud in your wealth—

6 therefore thus says the Lord God:

Because you make your heart

like the heart of a god,

7 therefore, behold, I will bring foreigners upon you,

the most ruthless of the nations;

and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom

and defile your splendor.

8 They shall thrust you down into the pit,

and you shall die the death of the slain

in the heart of the seas.

9 Will you still say, ‘I am a god,’

in the presence of those who kill you,

though you are but a man, and no god,

in the hands of those who slay you?

10 You shall die the death of the uncircumcised

by the hand of foreigners;

for I have spoken, declares the Lord God.”

 

NOTE: In the garden of Eden, we chose to be like God, to replace God and be our own gods. The result has not been pretty. The Greek tragedies of gods fighting and scheming is really a story of us and our behavior toward one another. The King of Tyre was indeed wise but there were wiser men -- Daniel who lived in the heart of Babylon for one (lesson one is that Daniel who was truly wise, is used as an example because he lived a life of humility). The King of Tyre was wise in making money, making trades, storing gold, protecting gold, and investing gold. And his wealth made him proud. Lesson two is that when we forget where wealth truly comes, and when we forget thankfulness, pride is right around the corner, and it will destroy us. God, at least twice in this passage, reminds the King that he is no god but a man. He is no different from any other man. And men from a ruthless nation with no skill in making money will kill him. At that time, the King's pride will finally leave him. Lesson three, repent now of your pride before the walls you built fall upon you.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where have I allowed pride to creep in and make me think that I am something special?

 

PRAYER: Father, you have given me much and I admit that I am undeserving of all that you have provided. Thank you for who I am and what you have made of me. Thank you for the wisdom I have. Thank you for my ability to speak. Thank you for all that you have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment