Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

QT 8/9/2023 Ezek 25:12-14, Letting go of hurts

Ezekiel 25:12–14 (ESV) —

12 “Thus says the Lord God: Because Edom acted revengefully against the house of Judah and has grievously offended in taking vengeance on them, 13 therefore thus says the Lord God, I will stretch out my hand against Edom and cut off from it man and beast. And I will make it desolate; from Teman even to Dedan they shall fall by the sword. 14 And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel, and they shall do in Edom according to my anger and according to my wrath, and they shall know my vengeance, declares the Lord God.

 

NOTE: The people of Edom are the descendants of Esau. And while, Isaac and Esau reconciled, it appears from multiple passages, that the people held a grudge against Israel for stealing the birthright and blessings. Obadiah, especially, deals with how Edom has treated the Jews. Ps 137:7 declares their joy when Jerusalem was destroyed. Wiersbe writes that the book of Obadiah declares that Edom's hatred and lust for revenge finally lead to their ruin.

 

What do we learn from this? We need to let go or our hatreds, anger, and bitterness toward people who we feel have wrongly hurt us (whether it is a true statement or not). It does our spirit no good and leads to many other pains in our body. It is hard, but it makes a difference on our entire lives.

 

PONDER:

  1. Who do I hold a grudge against?
  2. Who has hurt me (truthfully or just my opinion), that I need to forgive?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to know the people that I am still holding a grudge against. Who are they? Where am I still angry? What do I need to let go? Give me a joyful and peaceful spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment