Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

QT 8/29/2023 Ezek 33:7-9, What is our responsibility?

Ezekiel 33:7–9 (ESV) —

7 “So you, son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. 8 If I say to the wicked, O wicked one, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked person shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. 9 But if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, that person shall die in his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

 

NOTE: Very early in the book, God tells Ezekiel that he has appointed him a watchman. His job is not to "get" people to listen or "get" people to change, a watchman's responsibility is to warn. We must teach the truth; we must say the truth; and we must not shrink back. And just like raising our children, our responsibility is not to "get" them to do as we have taught. People have choice and choose to do as they see fit. Hopefully they have learned the right principles. But, they have eyes to see and ears to listen; and if I can add one more, brains to think. We must not get caught up in the results but rather in what is our responsibility.

 

Too often, we take on the responsibility of making things work for people. If we can, "yes" by all means. But our job is not to "make things work." We are to warn people, and train people, and love people, and pray for people. We have to be careful of trying to do too much.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I trying to do much?
  2. Am I trying to please people?
  3. Am I assuming guilty for people's conduct which is not my responsibility?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to do what you have called me to do and to fulfill my responsibility. I can't do everything. I need to live within the boundaries you have placed on me. Lead me and guide me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment