Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 3, 2023

QT 8/3/2023 Exo 24:13-14, The importance of cleansing

Ezekiel 24:13–14 (ESV) —

13 On account of your unclean lewdness, because I would have cleansed you and you were not cleansed from your uncleanness, you shall not be cleansed anymore till I have satisfied my fury upon you. 14 I am the Lord. I have spoken; it shall come to pass; I will do it. I will not go back; I will not spare; I will not relent; according to your ways and your deeds you will be judged, declares the Lord God.”

 

NOTE: God said he would have cleansed Israel, but they did not want to be cleansed. So, now the pot will be REALLY cleansed. It won't just be washed, it will be completely burnt and melted. And God is very emphatic, "I … I … I will … I will … I will … I will …" God's revealed his nature to Moses:

 

Exodus 34:5–7 (ESV) — 5 The Lord descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord. 6 The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, 7 keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, … "

 

God's response seems so out of his character, but that is because I left off the "but" in Exo 34:7. God's justice, holiness, and wrath is just as much a part of his character as his steadfast love, faithfulness, and mercy.

 

What is the lesson for us? We need to be serious about cleansing ourselves from sin. It is wrong; it affects our witness; it slows the process of sanctification. And we miss the promised rest (of Hebrews) that one can experience on earth.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I remember to confess my sins, not matter often I fall?

 

PRAYER: Father, search me and reveal to me the hidden sins in my life. Help me to see them and repent of them. Lead me in the right path for your name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment