Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

QT 1/10/2024 Mark 12:35-40, We are nothing without God

Mark 12:35–40 (ESV) —

35 And as Jesus taught in the temple, he said, “How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? 36 David himself, in the Holy Spirit, declared,

“ ‘The Lord said to my Lord,

“Sit at my right hand,

until I put your enemies under your feet.” ’

37 David himself calls him Lord. So how is he his son?” And the great throng heard him gladly.

38 And in his teaching he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces 39 and have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, 40 who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”

 

NOTE: Jesus point about Ps 110:1 was not to introduce the concept of error in the scripture. The crowd's reaction almost seems like they enjoyed seeing the scribes refuted. But the point was not that the scriptures were in error, rather the scriptures were true. The only way God could call David's descendant, Lord, is if he was also God. This is the Messianic secret or stumbling block that Jews did not understand. The trinity and the idea that the Messiah was God was not concealed but was not plain either.

 

Teachers of the law truly need to be students of the word, but unfortunately many of these spiritual leaders were more interested in what they got out of their position than the good they could do to others. Teachers are held to a higher standards. We, who are teachers, must be humble and learning at all times.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I glory in a spiritual gift? May it never be …
  2. Do I see myself as someone special? God forgive me when I do.

 

PRAYER: Father, the idea that I, a misfit -- a phony -- a scared little boy, should think that I am anything special is disgusting. Forgive me for my sins. All that I am and all that I have done, you have done through me. I am nothing without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment