Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

QT 1/23/2024 Mark 14:17-21, What is your excuse?

Mark 14:17–21 (ESV) —

17 And when it was evening, he came with the twelve. 18 And as they were reclining at table and eating, Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me.” 19 They began to be sorrowful and to say to him one after another, “Is it I?” 20 He said to them, “It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the dish with me. 21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

 

NOTE: So much has already been written about these verses, but a few things here bear repeating. None of the disciples picked up that it was Judas. Each of the men's biggest concern was that individually, it was him. Although later, Peter would declare that if everyone fell away, he would not. And yet before the day was over (meaning Passover which started Thursday at sunset), he would deny Jesus three times. They were all normal men with normal fears and normal weaknesses, and yet in 50 days, each would be transformed by the Holy Spirit to the extent that they would all (except John) die a Martyr's death. John spend the latter part of his life in prison for his faith. Eyewitnesses do not die for lies. And these events, especially the disciples' deaths, recorded by multiple authors, testify to the truth of the historical writings. For those of us who have heard the gospels, all or part, we have no excuse before God. We may try the old - "what about people who have not heard?" - but that does not let us off of the hook. We who have heard stand before God with no excuse.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my excuse for not believing? Do I really think it is unanswerable?
  2. Does my life match my testimony? Do I say I believe but live as if I did not believe? One cannot fool God.

 

PRAYER: Father, help us to see the truth of our lives up against our claims. I pray we would not fool ourselves. And I pray for those of us who truly know the savior, that our lives would bring people to Jesus, not away from Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment