Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 25, 2024

QT 1/25/2024 Mark 14:26-31, The long process of living like Christ

Mark 14:26–31 (ESV) —

26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 27 And Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away, for it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’ 28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” 29 Peter said to him, “Even though they all fall away, I will not.” 30 And Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.” 31 But he said emphatically, “If I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And they all said the same.

 

NOTE: They had spent time with him, they saw the miracles, they listened to the words of wisdom, and they all promised to die before they would deny him. Not many hours later, they all denied him and scattered. I imagine they all went and wept. Of course, they would change. In another 7 weeks, the Holy Spirit would fill them and they would be different men. Well, different but not perfect. We all want to do the right thing, and then we fail, and we wonder if we can ever walk in godliness because it seems we fail so often. As long as we have this body of flesh, we will fail. And as long as the Spirit dwells within us, we can confess our sin, we can with the Spirit's help pick ourselves up, and start afresh again. If we are serious, I believe we get closer to godliness each time. We will never make it, but we will continue to be transformed into Christ's likeness.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where do I need to start? What do I need to confess?
  2. What or where do I need the Spirit's help to begin again?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me when I fall and sin. I confess those sins to you. I am weak and I need you. Give me strength today to stand against the evil one. Protect me from his attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment