Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

QT 1/24/2024 Mark 14:22-25, Assured of eternal life

Mark 14:22–25 (ESV) —

22 And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” 23 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. 24 And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. 25 Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

 

NOTE: There are four cups in the seder. I believe this is the third cup, the cup of redemption because of the use of the words "fruit of the vine." It also follows the eating of the afikomen, the middle matzah that is broken in two and given to each. The fourth cup is the cup of salvation, and it could be that as well since a hymn follows. Of course a hymn follows or ends the ceremony whether it is the third or the fourth cup. Mark did not give us a detailed description of the ceremony, which includes many other elements such as the plagues and the retelling of the Passover.

 

The Passover was an incredibly important ceremony for the Jewish people. That Old Covenant ceremony was transferred to a New Covenant ceremony that we call communion, because the New Covenant replaces the Old Covenant. The writer of Hebrews says that it is founded on better promises. Ceremonies seem old hat, but communion celebrates and incredible promise, Jesus' death and resurrection, cleanses us from all sins and gives up the assurity of eternal life to those who believe.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my hope for the future based upon?
  2. Or does life just end with death, a meaningless existence?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the salvation I have in Jesus. Thank you that it was not dependent on anything I did other than accept the free gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment