Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 4, 2024

QT 1/4/2024 Mark 12:5-12, You might think otherwise, but God is your owner

Mark 12:5–12 (ESV) —

5 And he sent another, and him they killed. And so with many others: some they beat, and some they killed. 6 He had still one other, a beloved son. Finally he sent him to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 7 But those tenants said to one another, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.’ 8 And they took him and killed him and threw him out of the vineyard. 9 What will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the tenants and give the vineyard to others. 10 Have you not read this Scripture:

“ ‘The stone that the builders rejected

has become the cornerstone;

11 this was the Lord’s doing,

and it is marvelous in our eyes’?”

12 And they were seeking to arrest him but feared the people, for they perceived that he had told the parable against them. So they left him and went away.

 

NOTE: The Pharisees were correct, Jesus was talking about them and about all people who reject God. The tenants wanted to kill the Son so that they would own the vineyard, and they could then do what they want without the constant interference of the owner. That is pretty much a description of today. People want to eliminate God so that they can do what they want without the interference of biblical morals or guilt. We take "pride" in our sin. We flaunt our sin to further emphasize to God that we are not subject to him. But we will be called to account by Him who owns our lives. It is not "our lives" and it is not "our rules." We are created by God and God has given us his rules. And judgment is coming upon those who believe otherwise.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I really believe that my life is my own?
  2. Do I really believe that I can choose my own rules for life?

 

PRAYER: Father, the days are coming to a close. Reveal to the world that you still are the owner and you control the end. I pray that people would confess their sin, repent, and turn to you before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment