Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 22, 2024

QT 1/22/2024 Mark 14:10-11, We live for Jesus, not this life

Mark 14:10–11 (ESV) —

10 Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. 11 And when they heard it, they were glad and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him.

 

NOTE: This passage immediately follows Mary's anointing of Jesus with a perfume that was worth a year's wages. The disciples thought it was a waste of money (as probably most men would), but Jesus saw it as a beautiful thing (as a women sees beauty, sacrifice, and giving a gift to someone). A flower is a useless gift too, it dies in a few days. But a flower communicates to a woman that she is special, just because of the act and sacrifice of purchasing it for her.

 

I don't know if Mary's act enraged Judas or was the final straw in his idea of a kingdom not materializing. Like many so-called Christians today who see salvation as making a good life better, that is not what salvation is about. Jesus is going to destroy our ideas of a kingdom and replaced it with a much better kingdom, but it might not happen for hundreds of years. I think it will happen soon, but I need to sacrifice my ideas of the comfortable life, and be about the ministry of telling others of Jesus.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I attached to this world and a good life getting better? Or am I attached to JESUS?

 

PRAYER: Father, there is much pain in this life. It doesn't seem to end. But I live for you and not this life. Help me to encourage others and trust that you are bringing good out of the pain in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment