Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

QT 1/3/2024 Mark 11:27-33, We have truth that is a rock too

Mark 11:27–33 (ESV) —

27 And they came again to Jerusalem. And as he was walking in the temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to him, 28 and they said to him, “By what authority are you doing these things, or who gave you this authority to do them?” 29 Jesus said to them, “I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 30 Was the baptism of John from heaven or from man? Answer me.” 31 And they discussed it with one another, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’ 32 But shall we say, ‘From man’?”—they were afraid of the people, for they all held that John really was a prophet. 33 So they answered Jesus, “We do not know.” And Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.”

 

NOTE: The authorities question Jesus on his authority, but when Jesus asks them a questions, the authorities answer that they do not know. Jesus was providing answers to people, and the individuals who claim to be the ones providing answers could only say, "we do not know." The irony is amazing. Jesus, in fact did have authority. The Jews required two Rabbis with authority to affirm authority to a new rabbi. When John the Baptist, baptized Jesus in the river, God the Father spoke, and God the Holy Spirit descended. Jesus' affirming authority was God. And, Jesus was the word of God (John 1:1-14) who became flesh. There is no greater authority than God.

 

In a world that is deeply struggling with truth and with lies, Jesus is the answer we need. Jesus said,

 

John 14:6–7 (ESV) — 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

 

The years ahead will see lies multiply and will see technology cause the love of many to grow cold. The evil one will continue to deceive. But in all of this mess, we have a rock that we can hold on to, the truth of God, his word, and his spirit living within us. We must rest on real truth and trust God during these days.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my source of truth on life?
  2. Do I rely on the world's wisdom or God's word?
  3. Do I realize that the enemy is seeking to destroy me with lies?

 

PRAYER: Father, may our focus rest on you and your truth. Help us to share that confidence with others who are lost and worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment