Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

QT 1/9/2024 Mark 12:28-34, We need a savior because we can't keep the law

Mark 12:28–34 (ESV) —

28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 And the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. 33 And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And after that no one dared to ask him any more questions.

 

NOTE: Jesus is asked for the most important command, although the failure to keep just one of the 613 commandments is a failure to keep the whole law. So, I am not sure what the scribe was looking for, and I wonder if the reason Jesus replies to him later, "you are not far …" is an indication that he is missing the point, but he is close. Jesus replies to the question with two commands, that can be summarized even further, love God and love people. Jesus adds much more content. Loving God should consume your whole being, implying in my mind, that a "Sunday-and-Wednesday-night-only" effort is not at all what he had in mind. Also, loving people, is also more richly described, because we are to love others as we would love ourselves. Since most people really love themselves, I don't think we understand this one either. Of note, is that rather than one command, Jesus provides two commands, suggesting the importance of both. In practice, the two commands, if followed, would summarize the entire law. But nobody does even one of the commands correctly, which is why we need a savior, because our rebellious body will not allow us the ability to please God in the flesh.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe the lie, that the end of my life, I will be judged by how my good deeds compare to my bad deeds? That is a lie of Satan.
  2. Do I realize that even one infraction of the law separates me from the infinitely holy God?

 

PRAYER: Father, the prince of lies is actively working to deceive and confuse people. I pray to be able to expose those lies in my everyday actions with people. Give me grace to share truth in a gentle and respectful manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment