Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 12, 2024

QT 8/12/2024 Prov 28:4-5, What is important to you?

Proverbs 28:4–5 (ESV)

4 Those who forsake the law praise the wicked,

but those who keep the law strive against them.

5 Evil men do not understand justice,

but those who seek the Lord understand it completely.

 

NOTE: I believe that I live in a time where wickedness is glorified and godliness is mocked. The true law is not kept, but the law is twisted to be used against perceived enemies. By doing so, the wicked and evil identify themselves. I'm sure they don't see themselves that way. They believe in something so much that the end truly justifies the means. There are no morals in society any more. The common good is the only moral, and what is good for the majority is defined very differently depending on your political party. Why is that? Deep down there is a hatred of God and a feeling that a modern society has no place for God. People believe that life is not sacred, that it is not created in the image of God, because they believe we are here as a result of random processes, called evolution. Never mind the fact that random processes could never evolve what we see -- there is not enough time in the universe, galaxies, or planets to rise above an infinitesimally small probability. They believe science and faith are in opposition, which is news to me as a scientist myself.

 

So how do we respond? Paul didn't seem to care that the Roman empire was essentially a godless society and Jesus didn't seem to care about politics either (he paid taxes even though he knew he did not have to). Yes, we should do our civic duty by staying informed and voting and paying our taxes, but a far more important mission is making disciples.

 

Changing the political structure and the governing laws is a short-term answer. Laws do not change people's hearts. Only the Holy Spirit can change people's hearts and only belief in Jesus can change someone's eternal destiny. Politics can make the short term life "better," but it has little consequence on one's true spiritual life.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I let the news bother (agitate) me? Why?
  2. Am I more interested in my comfort or the kingdom of God?
  3. Where do I put my energies -- changing government or changing hearts?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do care deeply for my country. I served its armed forces, I commanded a unit, I researched policies and weapons for its defense. I hate to see what is happening in the United States. But I am also an adopted son in the kingdom of God -- I have more important tasks and interests. Help me to use my time on the things that are truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment