Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

QT 8/6/2024 Prov 24:30-34, Work is good, get going …

Proverbs 24:30–34 (ESV) —

30 I passed by the field of a sluggard,

by the vineyard of a man lacking sense,

31 and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns;

the ground was covered with nettles,

and its stone wall was broken down.

32 Then I saw and considered it;

I looked and received instruction.

33 A little sleep, a little slumber,

a little folding of the hands to rest,

34 and poverty will come upon you like a robber,

and want like an armed man.

 

NOTE: I have been  contemplating the reasons for why I have not accomplished as much as I thought I would in my first year of retirement. On one hand, I have done much, they just were not the things I thought I would be doing. They were certainly important, not just urgent things that stole my time. On the other hand, sometimes it is easier to get started by just doing an outside task rather than planning a time for it. I have had much more success by going outside than by figuring out what the project of the day is. This seems in contrast to the skills I developed at work where I focused on the most important task and set myself to it. Why is it different? I think it is because I work for myself and not someone else. Also, I'm not getting paid, so there is no guilt in lack of progress on key tasks. But, when I get moving, by going out where the work is, I make progress as I see things. The sluggard's field is overgrown with thorns because he does not go outside. He comes up with excuses to stay in. Work is good for us, it is good for our soul, it is good for our health, it is good for our home. The key is to just get moving.

 

PONDER:

Where do I spend my time? Away from my projects or in the midst of them?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to use my days wisely and honor you with my life. Today will be another day I can't get outside because I need to produce a presentation for church. I pray I would work as if I am serving you.

No comments:

Post a Comment