Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

QT 8/27/2024 Eccl 9:5-6, Repenting of trying to be our own gods

Ecclesiastes 9:5–6 (ESV) — 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.

 

NOTE: This is the understanding of the world today. When there is not God, there is nothing. Everything that consumed the dead is gone and most times to be forgotten in the years to come. Of course, one can leave a legacy through his children, but ultimately the days will cover up even a legacy. Whether or not you accept the idea of God, judgment will come upon the earth. At that time, justice will prevail and rewards will be given for what was perceived as foolishness. The world philosophy is empty. It is a culture of death. It a culture of narcissism. It is a culture of evil and rebellion. But it is not too late to repent of the rebellion which started in the garden of Eden, at least until you are dead. God has allowed the world to go on to show us why our desire to be our own gods was a bad idea. It is not because he does not care, does not know, or is not powerful to intervene. God's withdrawal is his mercy toward us to show us our need to repent of the rebellion and return to him as our God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I repented of my sin and turned to God as my Lord and savior?
  2. DO I live for self or for God?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do desire to live for you with all my heart. My sinful nature constantly tries to pull me away. Forgive me and be merciful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment