Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 8, 2024

QT 8/8/2024 Prov 26:13, Enough of the excuses!

Proverbs 26:13 (ESV)

13 The sluggard says, “There is a lion in the road!

There is a lion in the streets!”

 

NOTE: This is another one of those principles of life, for the lazy person, there is always another excuse not to do something. Unfortunately, we justify ourselves repeatedly so that we don't even notice what we are doing. We actually create the cry-wolf-syndrome, where an actual emergency is down-played by those who know you because you have cried wolf too many times.

 

I know a few people like this. I tried very hard to believe the situation, because it may be true … this time. My daughter when she was young used to complain about every little thing. One day, she was at the beach and she came out of the water complaining of something burning her -- I don't actually remember what she said -- and I remember passing it off as another of her complaints which were much worse than they appeared. But this time, the whole side of her leg was red, as a jelly fish had rubbed against her leg in the ocean. I felt bad for not believing her, although it would not have changed anything I could do for her. And it reminded me to be careful in my judgments against my complainers, their complaints are true at times.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I always have an excuse why it didn't do something or go to work or finish a task?
  2. Do I every take a step back and look my work history? Can people trust me as an employee to show up?

 

PRAYER: Father, even in retirement, I have obligations to people. I still need to make those promises happen. Retirement is not the time to quit, the work focus just changes. Help me to be faithful to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment