Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, August 23, 2024

QT 8/23/2024 Eccl 6:3,6, It is so important to be thankful

Ecclesiastes 6:3, 6 (ESV)

3 If a man fathers a hundred children and lives many years, so that the days of his years are many, but his soul is not satisfied with life’s good things, and he also has no burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. … 6 Even though he should live a thousand years twice over, yet enjoy no good—do not all go to the one place?

 

NOTE: Again, the focus of most of Ecclesiastes is the futility of life lived without acknowledgement of God. Yet, even in that type of life, there is more futility. One of the issues is contentment. It does not matter how long you live or even what you accomplish, if you cannot be satisfied, why bother? Life is good, especially when lived for God, but life has many things to enjoy even for the person who does not recognize God's truths. Relationships are a key to life, as well as the ability to be thankful. Every day can be a day of rejoicing in goodness if we take the time to thank God or at least be thankful and positive. The person who is never content and always complaining (and bitter) lives a very sad life. There is so much to be thankful for if we would only take the time to count those blessings. Life lived in anger and bitterness is a downward spiral that saps life out of the person.

 

PONDER:

  1. When was the last time that I expended a good deal of time just being thankful, counting my blessings?
  2. Do I focus on the things I don't have or do I enjoy the things and relationships I do have?

 

PRAYER: Father, I need to spend some time just thanking you for all the little blessings that I see each day. The big blessings are easy to see (two new grandchildren), but all the little ones are equally joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment