Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 5, 2024

QT 8/5/2024 Prov 23:22-25, Buying wisdom

Proverbs 23:22–25 (ESV) —

22 Listen to your father who gave you life,

and do not despise your mother when she is old.

23 Buy truth, and do not sell it;

buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.

24 The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice;

he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him.

25 Let your father and mother be glad;

let her who bore you rejoice.

 

NOTE: This is the second chapter in a collection of 30 sayings (1 to 4 verses each in length) that started in Prov 22:20-21 and appears to end at Prov 24:22.

 

The passage above is the sixteenth saying. The verse that stands out to me is verse 23, "… buy wisdom …."  How do you buy wisdom? Well, there are a lot of ways. You can pay to attend a conference or retreat. You can buy a book. You can pay tuition to attend a class, in-person or online. You can pay for an off-the-beaten-path resort where you go and spend a whole day with God reading the word and praying.

 

Those are the most obvious ideas, but a little imagination will turn up other ideas.

 

PONDER:

  1. When was the last time I spent money to get wisdom, especially biblical wisdom?
  2. Do I really believe that buying wisdom is better than anything else? (Previous verses in Proverbs have suggested it is.)

 

PRAYER: Father, show me things that I can do to get wisdom. I pray I would never be stingy when it comes to buying wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment