Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 29, 2024

QT 8/29/2024 Eccl 11:1-4, Investing in things that matter

Ecclesiastes 11:1–4 (ESV) — 1 Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. 2 Give a portion to seven, or even to eight, for you know not what disaster may happen on earth. 3 If the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves on the earth, and if a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie. 4 He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap.

 

NOTE: This passage is an argument for diversifying your investments, that is, not putting all your money in one basket. It is wise strategy whether you believe that this life is all that matters or that you believe in a God of the universe who will give life to those who put their faith in Him. We trust God, but we must also be prudent with the use of money. One investment that people tend to forget is charity, and it is probably even more important than any other investments. And even in charity, it is good to have multiple investments (things that you give to). I give to a few missionaries, a homeless shelter, an orphan, a young boy in a poor country, a ministry to Jews, and to my church. Interestingly, my charity potions are given to eight. My financial portions are divided among ten or so funds and I use someone to manage those funds. If disaster happens, I know for sure my charities will have had eternal impacts. As for the finances, well, I can only do so much. I trust God that the money is well invested. It is my life insurance policy for my wife should I die early. The point of the passage is to be prudent in the use of the money God has given to you.

 

PONDER:

  1. How have you invested the money God has given to you?
  2. Do you consider your charities an investment in eternity?

 

PRAYER: Father, continue to lead and guide in my use of money. I want to do the right thing with the funds you have given. I want to be prudent and faithful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment